Join the team! See our full-time, part-time, year-around, seasonal, and other opportunities.
California Shakespeare Theater (Cal Shakes) seeks dynamic customer service professionals to join our box office for our 2019 season. Come work in a relaxed but fast paced environment engaging with the public as the first point of contact that sets the tone for their visit to our theater. As a member of the Cal Shakes staff, you’ll receive complimentary tickets to our productions and have the opportunity to engage in company dialogues about the art we create and the communities we touch.
Our mission: Cal Shakes redefines the classical theater for the 21st Century, making works of extraordinary artistry that engage with our contemporary moment so we might learn about ourselves and each other in the fullness of our world.
We are a nationally recognized regional theater with offices in Berkeley, an outdoor performance venue in Orinda, and education and community programs throughout the Bay Area. Cal Shakes expands access to and relevance of the arts by fostering a participatory culture among a diversity of audiences, artists, and learners throughout the Bay Area.
We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents, and experiences. We highly encourage people of color, individuals with disabilities, and other historically underrepresented groups in our communities to apply.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Process any ticket orders.
- Print tickets and prepare them for will call or mail.
- Assist patrons with information about the plays, box office policies, amenities, and the Bruns site, including directions to the theater.
- Handle customer service issues at point of contact when possible.
- Aid patrons using website. Maintain familiarity with website and the web sales process.
- Keep careful notes, track questions, and follow up on issues with the Box Office Manager.
- Prepare maps, walk-in lists and any other documents needed for person(s) working at the theater.
- Share a respect for a diversity of backgrounds.
- Enjoy working in a creative, collaborative, fast-paced environment.
- Interact well with the public and provide excellent customer service.
- Prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Be computer literate and adept at learning new programs and software, especially database programs.
- Be able to make decisions and work under pressure with poise, grace and diplomacy.
- Maintain a strong attention to detail.
Be able to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Possess excellent verbal skills.
- Bilingual candidates are ideal, especially English/Spanish.
Special Environmental Factors
- At the Theater: work includes exposure to sunlight, hot, and cold weather for extended periods of time.
- At the Administrative offices: work in an office environment, sustained posture in a seated position for prolonged periods of time. Open, lively office setting.
Supervision: The Box Office Associate reports to the Sales Manager.
Salary: $15.59 per hour
Position: This is a part-time seasonal position (August through October) of approximately 10-20 hours per week. There is potential for additional hours during and after the season.
Apply online here.