Public performances for our all-female production of Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, directed by Michelle Hensley—a coproduction with Intersection for the Arts—begin on Thursday, February 20, and we’re in need of volunteer ushers for all performances at Intersection, 925 Mission, Suite 109, San Francisco.
There is a lot of good information about Twelfth Night on our website. During your volunteer shift, we consider you part of the Cal Shakes extended staff. We ask that you act professionally, treating your volunteer shift as a job and a responsibility to be taken seriously. In return, you’ll get to see the full performance of Twelfth Night!
Interested? Contact Jamie Buschbaum at email@example.com or call 510.548.3422 (email strongly preferred). Read on for more information.
We ask that our volunteers:
- Be on time.
- Be positive, helpful and friendly.
- Be responsible
Here is some information on eligibility requirements for these shifts:
- You must be 17 or older to usher alone
- If you are between the ages of 13 and 17 you must come with a parent or guardian and they must usher with you.
- You must be able to walk and climb a few stairs to get into the venue.
- You must be comfortable standing for long periods of time.
Dress Code: All volunteers are asked to wear comfortable, sturdy clothing and shoes. Please wear appropriate black. Clothes should be casual and comfortable, but tidy. No open-heeled shoes allowed.
Call Time and Training: Please arrive at the theater at your report time, ready to work. When you arrive, please let the box office associate know you are an usher. Cal Shakes depends on your being on time to your ushering shift. If you are more than 10 minutes late, you will not be permitted to usher and it will count as a no-show. After two no-shows, you will not be allowed to return as an usher. You will be trained in your duties for the night by the box office associate or their designated substitute. Please consult with any staffer if you have any questions or encounter a situation you cannot handle.
Before, During and After the Performance: After checking in, you will go through a brief orientation with the box office associate and assigned to a position. Please do the job asked of you until the curtain speech begins. While ushering, please do not eat, drink or chew gum.Please leave any valuables at home.
- All shifts must be scheduled in advance. Please do not show up unannounced.>
- A volunteer usher who drinks, or leaves without cleaning up at the end of the performance will not be allowed to return.
- Cal Shakes reserves the right to turn away any volunteer usher.
Interested? Contact Jamie Buschbaum at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 510.548.3422 (email strongly preferred).